5 Things You Should Know About Dentures
For most people proper cleaning of their dentures is not a priority, their cleaning involves placing them in water for a few minutes and speedy brushing. Convincing most of this people to practice better oral hygiene is like forcing a lion to eat grass since the reason they lost their teeth at first is mainly due to poor hygiene practices.
In addition to poor oral hygiene, it is a big challenge to make this people pay a visit to a dental clinic like affordable dentures las vegas for regular checkups.
A study done shows that only 19% of the people who wear dentures report back for regular checkups. If you are reluctant to visit a dental clinic, where will you get information on how to keep your dentures in a good condition? Do not be too fast to answer, you and I need to share helpful information on proper oral hygiene with the society.
Below are some facts that can incite people to take good care of their dentures:
1. Soaking your dentures overnight kills 99.9% of germs
Soaking your dentures overnight is an easy method which can help to kill 99.9% of germs compared to soaking them for 3-5 minutes which can only decrease the germs. Soaking also help to decrease the bacteria that cause bad breath.
2. Partial and acrylic dentures have pores in the surface.
To the naked eye no pores are seen at the surface of dentures but with the use of a microscope, pores are visible. This means, the normal quick brushing may not be effective in getting rid of bacteria found in microscopic pores. It is very important to get rid of bacteria since they reproduce easily which lead to bad breath and some oral diseases.
3. Dentures that are contaminated can cause health problems for patients with dry mouth.
One of the functions of saliva is to protect the mouth from bacteria this only means that if you have insufficient saliva in your mouth you are more prone to bacteria. Dentists should insist on proper cleaning of dentures to aid in fighting bacteria.
4. For elderly patients either with or without dentures have a high level of bacteria in their mouth.
Studies indicate that high bacteria count is found in the saliva of older people. As you become older your mouth will need more care as you are prone to a lot of diseases mostly if you have dentures.
Dentists should provide these patients with cleaning agents to soak their teeth during the night.
5. Dentures which are not well taken care of lead to deadly diseases like:
– Sores in the mouth
– Angular cheilitis- this is indicated by cracks that are visible at the edges of the mouth.
– Leukoplakia- this is as a result of dentures that do not fit it’s signs are: dense, severe white spots in the mouth.